Monday, May 2, 2011

Souper Sunday!

I had one serious souper Sunday. So serious that I had absolutely no energy to make dinner and frankly I'm still tired at the thought of it.

Background: Being such a lover of desserts and baked goods as I discussed here and here, it's probably no shocker that I would much rather bake up a cake from scratch than stand over a stove stirring away at something. I haven't tended to show the most patience in that department. Baking always seemed more straight forward. Measure it out. Don't forget the basic (e.g. baking soda, eggs, sifted flour, etc.) Stir it up. Grease the pan. Pour it in. Set the time and bake.

Cooking on the stove top is another issue altogether. Yesterday, I decided to try cooking not one but two of Dr. Fuhrman's recipes for nutrient-dense soup. The first would be the Black Forest Cream of Mushroom Soup followed by Golden Australian Cauliflower Cream Soup. I decided to cook both because there was quite an overlap of ingredients and Sunday has become my day of cooking in preparation for the week ahead. I spent hours in the kitchen chopping all of the vegetables, mincing the garlic as blending the cashew cream and sauteeing mushrooms. Don't these look good!

I could have just
eaten a bowl of these sauteed mushrooms and been happy but I stuck to the plan and finished off the soup. Considering I'm a family of one this soup should more than last me the next few weeks.

(I'll be freezing quite a bit of it.)

My next Souper Sunday is sure to include Dr. Fuhrman's Famous Anti-Cancer Soup. From what I hear from my fellow Nutritarian it should be yummy. Unfortunately, I'm officially on soup overload so it may be a little while before I get to that one.

And in even better news it seems the best way you follow up a souper Sunday is by sharing an amazing dessert. I made it to celebrate yesterday's accomplishment. Check out my version of Dr. Fuhrman's Banana Walnut Ice Cream (minus the walnuts):
Banana Date Ice Cream
Serves 2
2 ripe bananas, (frozen)*
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla soy (or nut) milk
1 pitted date (soaked in 1/4 cup of water for at least 10 minutes)

*Cut up the ripe bananas into four pieces. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 24 hours in advance.

Pour the milk, date (with or without the water) and bananas into the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. It will look just like ice cream. Serve immediately.

And that's it! Who needs real ice cream when this is so frickin' good?!

By the way, I decided that this healthier alternative to ice cream is not a dessert and therefore is totally worthy of my devouring. ;)

3 comments:

  1. That ice cream looks yummy! I didn't add dates to mine, but I like that idea - a little extra sweetness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that faux ice cream the most amazing thing ever!?! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete