Monday, May 9, 2011

We live, We learn

I'm am one moody lady lately. I'm having violent mood swings. Not violent in that I'm lashing out at other people kinda way but the way that makes me want to reach out and grab bad foods. It's completely in my head though. This I'm sure of. I'm losing inches from my waste and not once have I felt starved for food or physically craved stuff. Nonetheless, today's eating choices were just so so. I made a huge greenish smoothie yesterday to last me a few mornings. Unfortunately, it was incredibly thick. Probably too much kale and spinach for the amount of liquid. As a result I ended up spoon eating my smoothie for breakfast. I had about 3-4 ounces of mixed greens for lunch and an enchilada for dinner. What I'm not telling you about is what I grabbed from the vending machine. It was a decision. I made it. It didn't satisfy my mood and my lesson is learned.

I liken the situation to this quote my friend Stef posted to Gchat today:
"All I wanna do is eat french fries in the corner."
Well it obviously wasn't french fries that I grabbed from the vending machine but you get the point. It wasn't actually Stef who said this but rather a friend of hers. A friend who I imagine felt a bit like me today. Unwilling or unable to stomp her feet and cry, or scream, or wine like we might have as children, there are then times when some of us just want to quietly sit in a corner, baring our rage, frustration, anxiety, or sadness with french fries or some other comfort food. So there it is. My trip to the vending machine. I'm living. I'm learning. I'm not perfect.

...On a brighter note, inspired by watching one of the last few episodes of Oprah (tear falls from face), here are 5 of my favorite things. My favorite pantry items to be specific. And no, if you look under your chair you won't find them, nor will an elf be handing you a bag from me anytime soon. Sorry! Nonetheless these guys make my plant-based life that much sweeter:

In this photo:
1. I'm willing to add Braggs Liquid Aminos to just about anything. Especially if it's something that I think normally needs salt. I don't add much, just a splash. I consider this stuff to be an absolute must, no seriously, A MUST in my pantry! I even have a bottle at work for lunch.
2. The balsamic vinegar needs no introduction but can be found at Whole Foods Market if you don't recognize the 365 label. (Also kept in a cabinet at work.)
3. The cocoa is one of the healthiest most natural varieties I could find and it doesn't disappoint.
4. Fresh cracked pepper can take food to a whole new level for me. I grew up eating/using the ground black pepper so when I discovered grinders I was forever changed. My absolute fav is topping this over roasted broccoli. Mmmmm good!
5. And last but certainly not least is unsweetened soy milk or almond milk. I love them both. And now that my palate is a little clearer, I choose between the two based on the overall flavor of the dish. They bring me creamy goodness in either case.

That's all for tonight folks. Hope your Monday was off to a better start than mine. If not, we live. we learn. We move forward!

PS: Thanks to Stef for letting me share this quote. :D

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to those moods you speak of. I'm about to finish my three week cleanse and I can't tell you how many times I wanted to run for a bag of pita chips or a chocolate chip cookie. It's been a fascinating journey to instead sit with whatever I'm feeling, mostly boredom, and figure out what else I can do with it rather than eat it away. I've found a reservoir of openness that was previously filled with food. Love the blog and hearing about your experiences, keep it going!

    ReplyDelete